Friday, June 29, 2012

Amla Treatment

(For some reason this post went out without me adding the recipe,lol...ok so let's try this again)

A friend of mine asked recently..."So what is an Alma treatment?"

Amla is an ayurvedic herb, gound into a powder. A paste is when you take an ayurvedic herb, mix it with boiling water, let it sit, then apply it to your hair. I call it a treatment because I add conditioners and oils to my mixture and use it as a pre-poo. Then wash it out and style. Amla is for conditioning the hair. Amla also cleans the scalp as well and in time, contributes to healthy hair and healthy scalp. Also, the more you use amla, the darker your hair will become. It also makes your curls pop which is something I love. 

Here is a recipe that I uses to make my treatment...

First you have to purchase a box of Amla powder like the one you see here. I use Hesh Amla I got mine from an Indian store and you can look for one in your area to purchase this.  You can also look on amazon to buy it as well. 

Your mix will look like this when you folloow the directions below...




  • Detangle unwashed hair into twisted sections.
  • Place 3 tbsp of amla powder into a bowl.
  • Add 4 tbsp of conditioner (no protein)  Use a cheapie one for this recipe.
  • Add 3 - 4 tbsp of another conditioner (no protein).
  • Add 2 tspn of coconut oil
  • Add 2 tspn of another oil (olive oil)
  • Add 2 tspn of another oil (jojoba, coconut, olive, etc.)
  • 1/2 cup of water (use sparingly as you don't want mix to be runny).
  • Your mix should be like a paste.
  • Add 6 drops of essential oils : Rosemary and Lavender.
  • Mix together and smooth onto hair with fingers. Don't comb through.
  • Place a plastic cap on & let it sit for an hour.
  • Rinse off, wash your hair as you would normally, and then style.
  • Any leftovers can be placed in the freezer for future use.
Your hair will come out feeling softer and stronger. This will also help with less hair shedding over time.  I try to do this every other weekend.  More on my routine in a later post.  Until, try to enjoy this very hot day!

The Natural Hair Diaries :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

took a note of it....will try it on my locs...where can I purchase coconut oil, jojoba, rosemary, and lavender....

George said...

Great imagine you have got there.Thanks for sharing those with us and also your information and advices.